Camper's tents glow at dusk, Kekerten Island, Nunavut, Canada
Camper's tents glow at dusk, Kekerten Island, Nunavut, Canada. Kekerten Island Whaling Station, found within the Kekerten Historic Park, was a heavily-used whaling station during the 1850s and 1860s. Located in Cumberland Sound, 50 kilometres from Pangnirtung, the island was used for this purpose soon after it was charted by Scottish whaler, William Penny, in 1840. The whaling industry made great use of Inuit knowledge of whales, the local area, and methods of survival in the Arctic. A number of artefacts remain as part of the whaling station including the foundation of three storehouses built in 1857 by Scottish whalers, and large cast-iron pots used for rendering whale oil.